Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fashion Bug

I adore fashion, but as with all things in my life, I'm very particular. Mainstream fashion has never really done it for me; most things that go down the catwalk turn me off. I don't even really get into the indie fashion scene. So when I find a fashionista I like I get pretty excited. 

My latest clothing crush is WearingItOnMySleeves. I found it through Pinterest, and was pretty deeply engrossed before I made the discovery that the blogger, Sarah, is Mormon. Now I've always been a bit wary of very religious people, but this discovery peaked my interest. I started noticing that her style is very modest –never a lot of skin showing– and I realized that was something that I really liked about her outfits. This was a surprising discovery for me, since I've never thought of myself as modest or old fashioned in any way, but when I thought about it I realized that I really am quite modest when it comes to showing skin. I get uncomfortable when girls wear low-riding pants and tank tops, or when guys strip off their shirts in the summer. When my sister used to run around in her underwear I always had to fight the urge to turn into an old lady and tell her to put some clothes on. 

With this new discovery I've started to question other areas of my life. Where else am I modest where I thought I was so modern? What other latent, conservative emotions have I been suppressing? So far nothing else have surfaced, but I now know to keep an eye out for them. And it's always good to re-evaluate ourselves now and again. 

I know I will never agree with her ideologies, but to find someone who so artfully puts together outfits that I absolutely adore had been very satisfying. And illuminating.

No comments:

Post a Comment