Friday, November 9, 2012

The Bits I Miss

Since I've been in Boulder I haven't really missed Portland that much. I miss my friends, and a few places, some restaurants and whatnot, but I not the city so much. But last night I had this very vivid dream: 

I was driving to Portland. I didn't have very much time, I was on my way somewhere. I hadn't made contact with anyone, no one knew I was in town and I didn't have time to see anyone. As I drove through town I got a surge of excitement. I was back in Portland! It was beautiful, the sun was shining, the buildings were huge (I was downtown), and I was driving to my beloved Powell's. I got to drive by it, but then the dream changed and got weird the way dreams do. I never made it inside, and the dream ended not long afterwards. But the feeling of excitement of being back in Portland has stuck with me, and now I miss it. 

I knew the feeling would catch up with me eventually. If I had been paying attention I would have seen the signs. Just last week I was bemoaning the lack of good restaurants in Boulder, and thinking about all the amazing places Portland has. I've been craving Podnah's Pit for a solid month now. And I miss McMenamins theaters. And the Horse Brass Pub. And Crema Coffee Shop. And Saint Cupcake (I dream about their red velvet with cream cheese frosting).


Of course moving is never easy, and I don't regret my decision. I'm just having a bout of homesickness. 

So in memory, here are some photos of my favorite things: 



Drinking a beer in the Pearl on a clear, sunny day.                       


The Hawthorne bridge.                                           

Free drinks and friends (courtesy of Wweek)      

Willamette Week (tho I don't miss working on Sunday)

 MusifestNW (this was The National in Pioneer Square, amazing show)

A very different winter, where things got greener as the months wore on.

Sunday softball. I didn't play, but I drank beer and cheered, which was just as good.

Best of Portland, where I got way too drunk off of free drinks with my coworkers. (I did the sign, too)

Liz! (and Saint Cupcakes)

So anyways. I had some good times in Portland. But I'm sure I'll have good times here, too. Now it's just a matter of making those memories. 

2 comments: