Sunday, December 11, 2016

I came in first at the Christmas party!

Last night we went to a Christmas party and I was a little nervous how I would do with all the food. I haven't been around bread or baked goods at all since we started the diet, so I didn't know how tempting it would be.

The first hurdle was the drinks. Beer, wine (which I don't like) and lots of sugary drinks were everywhere, but I took my time and didn't commit to anything. After a bit I found out someone was drinking a gin and tonic, so I got one of those. First hurdle cleared!

Then the food. The setup was a make your own ham and beef sandwich, with oven baked mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and salad. I went for the ham, potatoes and salad and felt completely satisfied. No temptation to eat the mac and cheese, which I usually love.

Next hurdle: dessert. There were various pies and then some mini chocolate eclairs were brought out. These I eyed and one of my friends grabbed one and tried to give it to me. After I said no, I told him why, and what I was doing, and one bite into the eclair he decided that he didn't want it anymore. So not only did I not have the dessert, I turned someone else off to it! I call that a win.

On the way home I felt so proud! I really did feel like I had won something good (besides the white elephant gift Cards Against Humanity) and I was so excited that I had navigated the party without feeling weird about it or missing anything. And the most amazing part was I didn't feel tempted to eat any of the stuff. Pretty awesome! Also I had fun! Haha. Which is also very important.

So one week into my paleo diet I'm going strong and really proud of myself.

1 comment: